Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Blue Dragons

I play 40k. I have a Space Marine army. Those two statements are equivalent, are they not?

I like the Salamanders fluff, even if I have never been big on the rules for them. Tanacious, with a slant towards Techmarines and a preference for close ranged fighting they are interesting to me. They also generally stay away from Lascannons and I have never known them to be big on Plasma weapons, either. Some nice themes that can make for an interesting army.

Salamanders eschew fast attack, but I think I will use The White Scars Khan as my main HQ, and generally rely on mobile elements. I want a Terminator Assault squad, and an Honour Guard as well. I get 10 terminators w/ the starter sets and two boxes of Assault terminators gives me weapons for 20 Assault Terminators and 10 Terminators. I can start with just one :). I also have various bits including I believe three Terminator chassis and a Cyclone. I can scam another Cyclone off my brother.

Here is the general gist of things.

Chaplain in Terminator Armour
5x Assault Terminators
Land Raider Redeemer

Captain w/ Honour Guard and a Drop Pod

10 Terminators (which can Combat Squad)
Two Dreadnoughts
Drop pods?

Tactical Squads w/ Flamer and Missile Launcher (they can use the Bolters effectively)
Tactical Squads w/ Meltaguns
Scouts?

Bikes, if I want to buy them. Which I probably won't. Including the Khan.
Ditto Land Speeders. I am not real big on Scout Bikes but I like the Land Speeder Storm, especially with the Khan. But not as much as I like Drop Pods :).

After that, I like a Triple Las Predator in cover w/ a Techmarine beside it, especially if they can fix it. I like the same with a Land Raider, with the Techmarine in front of it, possibly using it as a Transport. If I am taking Techmarines I would want something to use the +1 cover save, and that could quite possibly mean a 6 man squad of Scouts.

All in all, a nice army I can paint in a cool electric blue type paint scheme. If I find a money tree I can add 20 or so bikes and some Drop Pods.

Besides, I hate the colour green for whatever reason. :).

No comments: