Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Eldar List Design: Asurmen's Host or What to do, what to do

I am looking forward to my new website, so here is one last post on here before I get the new one running. That, and the guys at dakka don't (do not) (donot?) need to listen to it.

I call it Asurmen's Host. It breathes some life into my existing Eldar army before moving onto my massive Khorne Lord of all time army.

Asurmen
1x 10x Dire Avengers
Powerweapon and Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend

Farseer
Fortune, Doom, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
1x 10x Howling Banshees
Mirrorswords, Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons

1x 10x Dire Avengers
2x Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons

2x 10x Guardian Defenders
Brightlance

2x 2x Warwalkers
2x Eldar Missile Launchers

// 1606

I am pretty happy about this. I need to buy Banshees again (Although I can use Scorpions instead) and it gives me a good reason to pick up Warwalkers. It is also an effective list without the use of an Avatar. Whereas my normal list is fought at 0" to 18" (relying heavily on Guardians and close combat), this one gets good use of the longer ranged Shuriken Catapults on the Dire Avengers. Banshees are a great fit because they have Counter Charge and they stack with Doom.

The only real reason I sold my Banshees was because painting all the different Aspects was intimidating with other projects. Such as, for example redefining the laws of physics and collecting 10,000+ points of Khorne.

Thing is I do not know what to add to take it to 1850. There is 244 points left, and I can even lose Defend on the second Dire Avengers. Alternatively I can add Vectored Engines or change the weapons on the Wave Serpents. For instance, Bright Lances on the Wave Serpents and Scatter Lasers in the Guardians.

First thing I am not interested in more Guardians or Dire Avengers. Just because. Second thing I am not interested in adding Scorpions or Swooping Hawks, although I will swap the Scorpions out for the Banshees. Swooping Hawks in 2000 maybe.

Second thing I am fine with adding Pathfinders. Pathfinders are cool and they go good with Doom. I am fine with units of Warlocks but find it both odd and generally ineffective when not stacked with Fortune.

I am not real interested in using Eldrad or Dark Reapers. I do not like Harlequins much under the new Consolidation rule.

I have a 14 man Storm Squad, I could use them alongside a Wraithlord which could be interesting. I could even lose one of the Guardian Defender squads.

I could buy Jetbikes, which I do not have and do not really like the models for. I have D-Cannons which I do not want in, nor any other Grav-tanks. I would not mind a third Wave Serpent but I do not have the model nor is it real exciting to me.

So ... what to do. Are people reading this? Here is the new list. Also, I have two Vypers and a bunch of Wraithguard.

Asurmen
1x 10x Dire Avengers
Powerweapon and Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend

Farseer
Fortune, Doom, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
1x 10x Howling Banshees
Mirrorswords, Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 10x Dire Avengers
2x Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 14x Guardian Storm (including Warlock)
Flamers or Fusion Guns, Spirit Seer, Enhance

2x 10x Guardian Defenders
Brightlance

1x Wraithlord
Wraithsword

2x 2x Warwalkers
2x Eldar Missile Launchers

// 2058

200 points over in 1850. I like the Wraithlord with the Wraithsword, just because. It is cheap and it still has the two flamers on it. I have never really liked Guardian Storm squads much, but they are more useful with the new rules for close combat. For 200 points I can have a Scorpion Squad infiltrating, or for 250 points I can have a 14 man squad of Storm Guardians and a Wraithlord. Not bad, really. The other option is just to stick with Guardian Defenders. The 100 point Wraithlord with the bad-ass Flamers on it takes advantage of the new Run rule. Heck, maybe I can buy one of those fancy plastic Wraithlords, too.

Asurmen
1x 10x Dire Avengers
Powerweapon and Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend

Farseer
Fortune, Doom, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
1x 10x Howling Banshees
Mirrorswords, Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 10x Dire Avengers
2x Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 14x Guardian Defenders (including Warlock)
Scatter Laser, Spirit Seer, Conceal

1x Wraithlord
Wraithsword

2x 2x Warwalkers
2x Eldar Missile Launchers

// 1691

Still 160 points short. I like the Wraithlord but what I am really missing is a bit of extra anti-tank. Marching Wraithguard can work. So can Swooping Hawks. I just don't know. Scorpions in a pinch if they still had their Haywire Grenades and S9 Powerfist. Which they do not.

What I did with the list on dakka was add Pathfinders (to stack with Doom) and a Spearlock Jetbike squad. 3 bikes, a Singing Spear and Destructor. Gives the list some anti-cover and anti-tank. A real unsung hero/ fill in the cracks kind of unit. Thing is I am not big on J-S-J and I think I prefer the Wraithlord.

I just don't know what to do. I will probably go like this.

Asurmen
1x 10x Dire Avengers
Powerweapon and Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend

Farseer
Fortune, Doom, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
1x 10x Howling Banshees
Mirrorswords, Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 10x Dire Avengers
2x Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm, Defend
Wave Serpent
TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

1x 14x Guardian Defenders (including Warlock)
Brightlance, Spirit Seer, Conceal

1x Wraithlord
Wraithsword

2x 2x Warwalkers
2x Eldar Missile Launchers

// 1706

Just room enough to fit the Swooping Hawks if I lose the Vectored Engines and generally play with the Wargear. Good enough, and three strong Troop. I also like the mix of T3 4+ and mechanized elements. I like Wraithguard but they lack close combat punch. They would be good if Spirit Seers could take both Conceal and Enhance, or even if they were WS5 stock. But oh well. It gives me a chance to play with the Brightlance in the Guardian Squad, rather than a Scatterlaser. I think I would be OK with the eight, that is right, EIGHT Eldar Missile Launchers.

But what do I know. ;). I have to admit I am excited about playing Eldar again, and this is a good list to give the rules 'a go'.

No comments: